Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tehran Calling - Mayday, Mayday

I will be the first to admit that I don't know the whole story of what's going on in Iran. I know there were elections, I know the results were disputed, I know some are saying the elections were rigged, and now it seems that the country is falling apart. You won't see much coverage on mainstream news sites, apparently - but there is a great aggregate post over at LiveJournal's "ontd_political" that includes coverage from The Huffington Post, as well as Twitters from eyewitnesses. More than anything, it would appear that the Iranians, and especially young Iranians, want the world to listen to their concerns that the election was stolen/rigged by the existing regime. The regime has responded with a brutal crackdown that includes beatings, intimidation, and the shutdown of cell phone service. Social networking sites have apparently been blocked, and foreign reporters are being told to leave or cease their broadcasts. It doesn't appear that things are going to get better for Iranian citizens any time soon.

I wish there was more I could do or say at this point, but I'm truly at a loss for words. I just hope that the reporters covering these events are able to get back home safely, and I also hope that no more protesters are injured or killed at the hands of their government. I don't know what those of us outside Iran can do, or even if we can do anything. Hopefully we'll learn more tomorrow.

If you know more about what's going on, how to help, or just want to talk about the situation, please feel free to comment.

No comments: